Courier-Islander Published: Friday, March 01, 2013
Local fish farmers honoured their outstanding employees Saturday night in Campbell River.
“Every year it gets better and better,” says Cory Percevault, president of Positive Aquaculture Awareness (PAA). “We love putting on this event, getting together to have a great time and to recognize people who do an exceptional job in aquaculture.”
The Positive Aquaculture Awareness society held its 14th annual dinner and awards night at the Eagles Hall. The sold-out event featured a delicious farmed seafood dinner, a silent auction, a heads and tails raffle and the highlight of the night, awards presentations.
Employees and managers were awarded for their leadership, on and off the job.
The 2013 award recipients were:
- Business of the Year Award: BC Centre for Aquatic Health Sciences
- Environment Award: Mainstream Biological Consulting
- Leadership Award: Kevin Onclin, Badinotti Net Services
- Long-Term Achievement Award: Walter Worsley, Grieg Seafoods
- Outstanding Employee Performance Award: Kevin Kephart, Walcan Seafoods
- Outstanding Manager Performance Award: Dave Pashley, Marine Harvest Canada.
- Rookie of the Year Award: Grant Warkentin, Mainstream Canada Outstanding
- Contributor to our Communities Award: Dave Samson, Mainstream Canada
As in previous years, the awards night also provides an opportunity to raise money in support of important local not-for-profits that help benefit BC’s wild salmon. A total of $1,000 was raised and donated to the Campbell River Salmon Foundation to assist in its habitat restoration of local rivers.